Tuesday, January 18, 2011


Another storm passes... Several inches of snow fell steadily all day before changing to sleet, then freezing rain. Rain on top of a good snow base is one of my least favorite things. It's hard for the deer to run from the coyotes and it's impossible to walk in or shovel. My plastic green house looks like it's bending under the weight of the built up snow and ice.

Then there is the problem of the ice dam on the back of our house. When the edge of the roof isn't cleaned off, ice builds up and then as the snow melts, the water backs up into the eaves of the house and then drips down walls and into light fixtures. The result is not pretty - or cheap.

My battle of the sore throat has finally tipped in my favor! After guzzling Echinacea in every form I could find, I can report that I'm finally feeling healthy and much better!

The wintery weather has brought a a bird explosion to our woods. There are flocks of Blue Jays, Mourning Doves, Chickadees and Finches. There are several varieties of Woodpeckers and a least one male Cardinal. The crows and Ravens have increased their visits to the corn and sunflower and were quite excited yesyterday when I threw out a few little suet hunks with it...

The deer comes to scoop up corn and I throw out old apples and bread too.

I've seen no sign of Fox or Racoon, and no Turkeys have visited this year. Last year we had a resident family, but I never saw them after hunting season in May.

No comments:

Post a Comment