Saturday, June 25, 2011

Is It June?







Summer has officially begun, for the calender tells me so. The thermometer, however, is a different story. The Spring has lingered long and wet, like a melted ice cream cone, that didn't come with a napkin. It feels about as warm and cozy too.

This happens some Springs. The weather pattern gets stuck in 'Canada' mode and we suffer thru weeks of cool, drizzly, damp days that make me long for sun and shorts.


The garden has been pleased with the daily downpours and the thunderstorms add precious nitrogen to the soil. I wish now I had planted my beloved Snow Peas. I couldn't find the seed this year, and I refused anything less than a Dwarf Grey Sugar Pea. They are the sweetest and the best and I know better that to waste my time and space.


I'm cutting the Garlic Scapes this afternoon and adding them to a Chicken Corn chowder that simmers on the stove. Today the temps have climbed from the 50 degrees yesterday gave us, all the way to 60! I'm still cold and the woodstove will be going later (again!).


The lettuce is exploding and Sage is in full flower. The cukes are just now sprouting and the beans too. I may get a few Beets and Carrots, but the Chicken Girls have done a job on that bed by scratching up the seedlings. I'll consider it a good thing, when I discover I don't have to weed the Carrots... maybe! The Cherry Tomatoes have nice green globes in the green house and the outdoor varieties are thriving in spite of the cool air.


More rain tomorrow, then sun for most of the upcoming week. I'll try to mulch well before the season actually does warm up, cause I really don't like to weed! Happy Summer to all!




















No comments:

Post a Comment