Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Full Moon in Scorpio

The sun pushes past the wispy Southwest clouds and sprinkles light on the new green, gold and bronze leaves in the woods. A Pileated Woodpecker claims his breeding ground as he zigzags here and there and drills his awesome beak against the loudest tree.

The Shadbush, Forsythia, Lungwort, Grape Hyacinth and Daffodils all rule the garden while the early purple Azalea begins to show a little color. The Dandelion flowers are like droplets of sunshine and the Hobble Bush is glorious at the edge of the woods.

Our family of Turkeys wander and strut and I think I saw a young one... already? The nesting habits of the great birds is a mystery to me, but I think it would be early for fledglings.

My own nesting pair is diligent in their brooding, though it has been suggested that Joey may be sterile...! I shudder at the possibility, but I have left this up to Mother Nature, so what shall be shall be. The question lingers non the less. I had saved the old eggs from the first clutch, for use as a Tomato fertilizer - one in each hole. Now I intend to go and open them to see if any Life was growing within. Hang on - I'll be back to let you know the results.....

Well - they all looked like unfertilized eggs. Simple yellow yolks with nothing resembling an embryo. Could they all have failed to grow at all? It seems unlikely - and this could be why she keeps spitting out eggs... I need to do some more reading. Well at least I see now why I saw no veins when I candled the eggs.

1 comment: