Tuesday, June 8, 2010

What To Do?

The puffy clouds drift lazily across the crystal blue sky, as the breeze rufffles the new green leaves. The air carries the salt scent of the rocky shoreline from the inlet of the bay, just a short walk through the woods from here. It's quiet as the birds are still nesting and dealing with their young.

Oil still gushes into the Gulf of Mexico and the horror of the disaster continues to unfold. The nation and the world watch as our ocean and our pride are ruined. Even if the oil stops this very minute, the damage has been done and will never go away. Not in our lifetimes or our grandchildrens' lifetimes. Humpty Dumpty has fallen. Pandora's Box has been opened. The apple has been eaten. The plane has struck the building. It feels like that. Only worse. Because this time, I let this happen. So did you. We all stood around and let this happen.

Now what do we do? First we must stop the oil flow. I can't help with that, but I can pray everyday for the strength and knowledge to reach those that CAN stop it. Then we must regulate and oversee this kind of work. Our government must protect our health and our rights as citizens and land owners. We must demand it. Our water and our air must be kept clean. We can't eat money and we can't drink oil.

What else can I do? I won't drive my car today and try to use a little less energy. Do I need a 10 minute shower or will a cold water splash do? I turn off the lights and cook out on the grill. I eat lettuce from my garden, not trucked from California. My sweater is wool and not a plastic synthetic. I put my leftovers in glass bowls and carry cloth bags to the store. I buy in bulk and if I can do without it, I do. If I need an item that had to be manufactured, I always wonder if I can get it at the Thrift Store or a yard sale. It's amazing what you can find. It's cheaper too! It's a form of recycling. It's easy to sort and save paper, glass and metal for the recyle bin. It's easy and it helps to save oil.

We all CAN help with this disaster. We CAN change the world. Demand alternative energy NOW! If everyone made even small changes to their lives, it will make a difference. You'll see. If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment